Showing posts with label Nigeria. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Nigeria. Show all posts

Friday, 9 May 2014

Story behind workers’ day bombing:Nyanya(FCT)


Story behind workers’ day bombing:Nyanya(FCT)
Rate this post
Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Sanni Sidi disclosed that yesterday’s bomb blast happened when a parked car with explosives exploded.
Sidi, who spoke to journalists at the Asokoro General Hospital, Abuja, noted that the blast was not as intense as the previous one, stressing that yesterday’s blast happened fifty metres away from the last one, but the same Nyanya, outskirts of Abuja.
Also speaking with Journalists at hospital, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Senator Bala Mohammed described the incident as unfortunate especially coming barely some weeks after the last one. He however assured residents of the territory of government’s readiness to provide security as well as protect lives and property, adding that it was early to give numbers of casualties as he was at the hospital to assess the level of services being rendered by his staff.
Giving the number of injured persons at the various hospitals, Secretary, Health and Human Services, Ademola Onakomaiya disclosed that the total number of those who sustained injuries at Asokoro, Maitama General Hospitals and National Hospital were 41 with 30 at Asokoro, 2 in Maitama and 9 at National Hospital, adding that arrangements have been put in place as 20 bed spaces have been created in three hospitals where those at Asokoro would be taken to.

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Suspected rapist drugs, attacks pupil inside bush


A suspected rapist in Osun state drugged and attacked a 15 year old secondary school student of Young Tajudeen Middle School, Ede, Osun for supposedly refusing him sex, Punch reports.
 
According to reports, on Wednesday April 30th, the victim who lived with her grandmother, had gone to the bush to pick mangoes when she was accosted by the alleged rapist who begged her for some mangoes. She said she obliged him but afterwards the man demanded for sex which refused. She said the man immediately forced a pill into her mouth which made her unconscious. By the time she woke up, there were machete cuts on her head, legs and wrist.
 
Explaining what happened, the girl said
"I went to the farm to pick mangoes on the day I was attacked. As I was heading for home, I met a man who asked me to give him some mangoes and I did. The man asked me of my name and I told him my name is Suweba, but my real name is (withheld). The man later said  he wanted to have sex with me, but I told him I was too young for that. The man threatened to cut off my head if I didn’t oblige him. He held my head, forced my mouth open and dropped a white pill inside my mouth. I fell down and I became unconscious. I was attacked around 2pm and I woke up when it was getting dark maybe around 7pm. I managed to crawl to the footpath and shouted for help, but none came until the following morning.” she said
 
Passersby the next morning found the girl on the pathway and then immediately rushed her to the hospital where it was discovered that the wounds she sustained had already started decaying with maggots coming out from it. 
 
Hospital staff, who described the attack as callous, believe the girl could have been attacked 48 hours before she was brought into the hospital and not the previous day as she said because of the maggot  infested wound.
 
Hospital staff say they would conduct test on her to ascertain if she was truly raped

Monday, 27 January 2014

ASUP to meet with FG over lingering strike.


0
In a bid to   resolve the ongoing seven months strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics,
ASUP, the Federal Government would  meet with the leadership of the union today in Abuja.
The meeting is expected to be presided over by the Supervising Minister of Education, Barr. Nyesom Wike.
The Minister will after the meeting brief leaders of the National Association of Polytechnic Students on efforts of the Federal Government to improve polytechnic education in the country.
The meeting is also aimed at reaching an agreement on the last issue yet to be resolved from the list of demands placed by ASUP before the Federal Government.
Under the High Impact Development Scheme through TETFUND, the administration invested N12 billion to improve facilities in 12 selected polytechnics, with each of the polytchnics getting N1billion .
The administration also released a grant of N1 billion to federal and state polytechnics for the provisions of state-of-the-art laboratories, refurbishing of old laboratories and the training of staff on the handling of newly acquired equipment.
It would be recalled that the Minister had met with ASUP leadership in October 2013 after the commencement of the strike, with both parties reaching key decisions.
Since then, both the Minister of Education and the Minister of Labour have met with officials of ASUP at different points, briefing them on the key steps taken for the White Paper to be released.
It has been on the premise of these negotiations that the Federal Government declared that ASUP leadership should call off the on-going strike and allow for the complete resolution of the outstanding issue in contention.

source:mramebo.blogspot.com