Aftermath Of Troops Deployment: Soldiers Kill 30 Insurgents In Nasarawa
— April 4, 2014
Soldiers deployed to Nasarawa Sate recently to help contain
the recurring communal clashes along the Nasarawa/Benue border yesterday
killed over 30 suspected insurgents during a morning raid on Mararaba
Giza community of Keana local government area.
The bodies of about 10 of the suspected insurgents killed in the
operation were brought to the Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital, DASH,
Lafia, the state capital, by a police pickup van and deposited at the
mortuary while over 20 were deposited at the General Hospital, Keana.
Many bodies were yet to be recovered from the bush.
But the Defence headquarters has said that it will investigate the
involvement of the Nigerian soldiers in the matter. Speaking through it
spokesman, Major-General Chris Olukolade, the military said, “No such
report has been received from anywhere. It will be investigated to
confirm if those you said carried out the attack are soldiers indeed.
LEADERSHIP Friday gathered that the military launched the offensive
on the suspected insurgents while acting on a tipoff about their
hideouts in Mararaba Giza and Tse-Azer where they were said to have
taken shelter for some time.
A source at the Keana General Hospital informed that the mortuary
could no longer contain the number of dead bodies, hence the conveyance
of the remaining ones to Lafia.
It was further gathered that sophisticated weapons were recovered from the insurgents who were taken unawares.
The secretary of the Nasarawa State chapter of Miyetti Allah Cattle
Breeders Association, Mallam Mohammed Husseini, said over 30 of his
kinsmen were killed in the operation which started by 9am.
The head of the Fulani community, Ardo Sodangi Audu, told LEADERSHIP
Friday that he could not give a detailed account of what transpired as
at press time but hinted that the casualty figure is expected to rise in
the coming days.
Residents of Keana local government area said that the soldiers were
seen taking over the town with about four armoured tankers in order to
ensure that the insurgents had no escape routes.
One of them who pleaded anonymity revealed that “the military killed
the insurgents and were able to recover rifles and other explosive
devices from them”.
The source, who pleaded anonymity, said that there had been
allegations of terrorists taking shelter in some parts of the southern
senatorial zone under the guise of international hunters and wondered
whether there are any forests left for games that warrant the presence
of international hunters.
“This part of the state has received and seen strange Fulani faces
more than any time in the history of our existence in Keana and environs
and we wonder where they are coming from, because they are not the
normal Fulani that we know,” the source said, adding that “most of these
Fulani that we see don’t even have cows and one continues to wonder
what is their preoccupation and mission in the state”.
Many in Giza and other parts of Keana LGA have continued to applaud
the step taken by President Goodluck Jonathan by deploying the military
in the state to find a lasting solution to the persistent cases of
incursion by suspected insurgents. They appealed for more soldiers to be
deployed to the area for the maintenance of peace.
When contacted, the police public relations officer, Umar Ismaila,
confirmed the incident but declined any further comment. “It is a
military operation and they are in a better position to issue any
statement, but we are trying to appeal for peace so that the situation
is brought under control,” he stated.
We Must End Communal Clash In Benue – Jonathan
President Good luck Jonathan has reiterated his administration’s
commitment to ensure normalcy returns to areas that have suffered
consistent attacks from suspected Fulani herdsmen in Benue State.
He also condoled with the government and people of Benue State over
the senseless killing and maiming of the people of the state by the
insurgents
Speaking at the wedding ceremony between Mr David Ortom, son of the
minister of state for trade and investment, Chief Dr Samuel Ortom (Tiv),
and former Miss Christy Ikwue of Idoma extraction of the state, the
president expressed delight at the level of unity between the Tiv and
Idoma people of Benue State.
The president, who was represented by interior minister Comrade Abba
Moro, lauded the families of the groom and bridegroom for doing away
with tribal sentiments.
He described Chief Ortom as a great asset to the transformation
agenda of the present administration, and implored Nigerians to embrace
inter-tribal marriage so as to foster greater national cohesion, peace
and unity .
Jonathan urged Nigerians to emulate the people of Benue State by
encouraging inter-tribal marriage, even as he advised the couple to
imbibe godly virtues of patience , love and unity as the bedrock of the
new union.
Also speaking on the occasion, the vice-president, Arc. Namadi Sambo,
represented by Engr. John Tion, and Senate president David Mark,
represented by Representative Hassan Saleh, noted the significance of
the intertribal marriage which will go a long way to bring peace and
unity in the country.
Earlier, Benue State governor Dr Gabriel T. Suswan, represented by
his wife Arc. Dooshima Ochanya Suswan, said that despite the great
security challenges in the state and the displacement of many Benue
people, the marriage between David Ortom and Christy Ikwue was
significant.
Suswan described the coming together of David Ortom and Christy Ikwue as a sign of unity that the state and the country deserve.
In his speech, the father of the bride, Dr Samuel rtom, the minister
overseeing the aviation ministry, expressed gratitude to the president,
the vice president, the Senate president and the great multitude that
turned out to support the marriage.
He especially thanked the governor, Dr Gabriel Suswan, his wife,
deputy governor Steve Lawani and his wife; the speaker, Benue State
House of Assembly and the Benue people who turned out despite this
security challenges that have “displaced our people”.
In his vote of thanks, the father of the groom, Chief Ben Ikwue,
thanked all and urged everybody to pray for the quick return of peace to
Benue and Nigeria, adding that, on their part, everything will be done
to nurture the marriage to maturity.
Terrorism: No Secret Trials For Boko Haram Suspects
Meanwhile, the federal government has lost the move to have a
Lecturer of Kogi State University, Dr Mohammed Yunus, and two others
tried secretly.
The suspects are currently standing trial for allegedly sponsoring the deadly activities of the dreaded Boko Haram sect.
Justice Gabriel Kolawole of a federal high court sitting in Abuja, in
his ruling on the application made by the federal government to have
the suspects tried secretly, held that the court is mindful of the
accused persons’ right to fair hearing and the need to protect the
identities of witnesses from the general public as it is done in
advanced democracies where cases of terrorism are tried.
He said, “To balance the conflicting interests of fair trial as
prescribed by the constitution and not to unjustly expose ordinary
citizens who have decided to give evidence on behalf of the state to
danger, if the court fails to give minimum comfort to witnesses, it will
get to a stage where the state will no longer find witnesses.”
Justice Kolawole further held: “In advanced democracies of the
world, cases of terrorism have led to a legal regime of protection of
witnesses.
“I shall not shut down the entire court room, but shall make adequate
provisions to shield the identities of the witnesses including personal
securities for those of their families need to be concealed from the
general public .The court will guarantee fair hearing to the accused
persons and protection to the witnesses.”
The three accused persons – Dr Mohammed Yunus, Musa Umar and Salami
Abdullahi – were arraigned on an eight-count charge bordering on
terrorism.
They were arrested in October 2013 for allegedly holding various
meetings aimed at planning to carry out insurgency across the country
and have been remanded in prison custody.
The case has been adjourned to May 6, 7 and 14 for hearing.
Kaduna LG relaxes curfew in Kafanchan
Jema’a local government council of Kaduna State on Thursday said it
had relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed in Kafanchan by 10 hours.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a 24-hour curfew was
imposed in Kafanchan township on Wednesday, following the youths’
reaction to the arrest of 24 men allegedly in possession of arms.
Mr Daniel Amos, chairman of the council, said in Kafanchan that
residents were now free to go about their businesses from 6am to 4pm.
“The development is due to relative calm witnessed within the metropolis.
“We believe the situation would improve as there has not been reports of disturbances from any quarters,” he said.
Amos commended residents for complying with the directive restricting
movement, assuring that the measure was taken to ensure the safety of
lives and property.
He urged the public to desist from tendencies capable of breaching
public peace and report any suspected person or group to security
operatives.
NAN reports that calm had returned to Kafanchan township as residents moved freely and businesses were opened.
Attacks plan to destabilise Nigeria – Buhari
Former military head of state and leader of All Progressives Congress
(APC) General Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, noted that the spate of
attacks rocking a part of the north was a grand ploy to destabilise
Nigeria.
Speaking to newsmen in Katsina when he paid a condolence visit to
victims of recent attacks in Faskari and Sabuwa council areas of the
state, Gen Buhari urged residents to help in unmasking those behind the
attacks.
“They are trying to destabilise Nigeria beginning with the north
because they started with Borno, Kano and now they got to Katsina and
Kaduna; so what is remaining?”
The APC leader insisted that the attacks were pure terrorism and went
beyond religion and ethnicity since nobody is spared in the killings…
Residents must unite and help in unmasking those behind these attacks”
He insisted that the only way out was for people to report suspicious
persons and movements to security agents so that suspicious persons
could be investigated and charged to court if found wanting.
General Buhari however commiserated with victims of the Katsina
attacks which led to the reported deaths of over 100 people and prayed
for lasting peace in the whole country.
He donated 200 bags of maize just as his associates from Kaduna who
escorted him for the condolence visit donated N1 million each for
victims of the attacks in Sabuwa and Faskari council areas.
Over 100 people were reported killed and houses burnt when some armed
men attacked villages in Faskari and Sabuwa council areas of the state
early last month.
Benue: Reps ask FG to compensate farmers who lost produce to Fulani/Farmers’ crisis
Federal lawmakers have called on the federal government to compensate
farmers who lost their farmlands and crops during attacks by suspected
Fulani herdsmen in Benue State while asking security agencies to
evacuate herdsmen from ancestral lands and houses of indigenes of the
state .
The lawmakers took this decision yesterday after adopting the
resolutions of a motion moved by Hon. Christiana Alaaga (PDP, Benue) on
the need to stop nomadic herdsmen from attack, occupation of ancestral
farmlands and alleged use of chemical weapons on defenceless farmers in
Agena, Mbatsada and Sangev communities in East/Gwer West local
government areas of Benue State.
The House also condemned the killings and maiming by the herdsmen and
called on security agencies including the Nigerian army, police and DSS
to arrest the perpetrators of the violence, especially those who
allegedly used chemical weapons to attack farmers, and bring them to
book.
Urging the National Emergency Management and Response Agency (NEMA)
to urgently provide relief materials to the surviving victims of the
attacks who were internally displaced in Agena, Mbatseda, Sengev and
Mbakyoondu communities, they further called on security agencies to take
urgent steps to ensure the safety of travellers and motorists on
Makurdi/Naka federal interstate highway as well as evacuate herdsmen who
have settled on ancestral farmlands and taken possession of houses in
Gwer local government area.
Leading debate on the motion, Hon. Alaaga expressed worry that
killings of people in their homes have taken a new dimension in the form
of chemical weapons deployed by herdsmen and expressed worry that, if
it is not checked, the deadly practice may shift to other parts of the
country.
“Nomadic herdsmen numbering over 200 laid siege to Agena, Mbatsada
communities of Gwer East local government in the early hours of the day,
shot and killed people as they came out of their houses… Worried that
the crises have taken a dangerous dimension of the alleged use of
chemical weapons by the herdsmen on Tiv farmers… and if this practice is
not stopped, it might spread to other parts of the country,” she said.
The lawmaker further expressed worry that “with the growing number of
internally displaced persons, there is impending humanitarian crises
like the outbreak of epidemics, famine and crime which may lead to more
casualties”.
Troops clear 3 Benue LGAs of armed gangs, recover arms
The Nigerian Army mobilised to Benue has liberated three local government areas from the claws of armed gangs.
Formation commanders of the Nigerian Army have moved to the various
states in their area of responsibility to conduct the operations aimed
at addressing deteriorating security situation in parts of the
north-central.
A statement issued by the Defence Headquarters yesterday and signed
by its spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade, paints the picture of
the success recorded by the troops: “Troops deployed in Benue State have
already cleared camps of all armed gangs in three local governments of
the state.
“Normalcy has been restored in Guma, Gwer West and Agatu local
government areas. Some arrests and recoveries have been made in the
process,’’ the statement read.
“Tagged ‘Operation Restore Peace’, the mission has also resulted in
the destruction of militant camps, arrests as well as recovery of arms
in Shendam area of Plateau State.
“2 AK 47 rifles were recovered after an encounter with troops of
Special Task Force and the armed gangs in their enclaves in Shimanker in
Plateau State. In Kaduna State, militants’ camps in Ladduga near
Kachia were destroyed while arms were equally recovered in Maigungume
Hills in Niger State.”
The military disclosed further that general officers commanding
(GOCs) are directly supervising the operations in “their area of
responsibility in Benue, Plateau, Nasarawa, Kaduna and Niger states as
troops comb forests in the mission to apprehend members of armed gangs
and destroy their enclaves”.