Showing posts with label Nigeria news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Nigeria news. Show all posts

Saturday, 20 September 2014

Photos from the collapsed church building in Edo state yesterday

Photos from the collapsed church building in Edo state yesterday

Here are some photos from the one-storey church building belonging to Christ Chosen Church of God which collapsed yesterday September 19th. The building, which had been vacated recently by the church following its relocation to a bigger site, was being demolished by 8 workers when it caved in and fell on them. Three people have been confirmed dead while five were rescued from under the rubble. See more photos after the cut...



Friday, 12 September 2014

WAPTV releases Ebola Awareness Campaign

 WAPTV releases Ebola Awareness Campaign


As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) efforts, wapTV has produced a dramatised 5-minute material aimed at increasing the awareness on the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
The campaign employs the use of Edutainment, an effective blend of Education and Entertainment, and stars the popular Presenters from wapTV – Sabongari, Omonla, Veronica, Chief Olododo; the comedic duo of AKpan & Oduma; as well as Papa Ajasco and Pa James from Nigeria’s Number One TV Comedy, Papa Ajasco & Company. Continue...


According to Wole Adenuga, Managing Director of wapTV, “Wale Adenuga Productions Ltd has a long history of effectively passing across Strong Moral Values and Messages through the medium of Entertainment. This Ebola Enlightenment Campaign is just our own way of complementing the efforts by the Government, and other bodies, in enlightening millions of families across Nigeria about Ebola.”

The wapTV Ebola Awareness Campaign currently airs daily on wapTV (StarTimes Channel 116, StarSat Channel 155 and CONSAT Channel 812) as well as on SUPERSTORY, THISLIFE, PAPA AJASCO & COMPANY and NNENNA & FRIENDS BRAINPOWER GAME on TV Stations across Nigeria.

For Updates on wapTV, kindly do the following:
VISIT and LIKE www.facebook.com/waptvs

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

The deadly Boko Haram sect yesterdayd attempted to expand its caliphate to another major Borno town, Bama, but met stiff resistance from the Nigerian army.

The deadly Boko Haram sect yesterdayd attempted to expand its caliphate to another major Borno town, Bama, but met stiff resistance from the Nigerian army.
70 members of the terrorist sect were said to have been killed by the army.
A top security official in Maiduguri confirmed the attack but did not give casualty figure or state which side suffered more damage.
... See More

Rivers State releases N300million to fight Ebola in the state

Rivers State releases N300million to fight Ebola in the state

Rivers State governor, Rotimi Amaechi announced today that his administration has released over N300million to fight the Ebola virus in the state.

Amaechi disclosed this while speaking with the Country Director of the World Health Organization, WHO, Mr. Rui Vaz, at the government house in Port Harcourt.
“Whatever it takes for us to overcome Ebola, please, I will do it because it costs more if Ebola is on the loose than if it is contained. So, we are happy that the World Health Organization is here to assist Rivers State. We are happy that the World Health Organization appreciates the dangers of Ebola to our communities. We need to contain Ebola. If there is no cure, then there is containment so that more persons don’t contract it. The Rivers State Government is prepared to take all the responsibility. The citizens are ours,” Amaechi said.

Friday, 29 August 2014

Boko Haram reportedly ‘beheading’ Christians in Gwoza

Boko Haram reportedly ‘beheading’ Christians in Gwoza

According to reports, Boko Haram militants are beheading young men in the Christian community in Gwoza, the Borno town that the insurgent group recently took over and declared an Islamic caliphate.

Sources from the town claim that Christian men who refuse to convert to Islam are being beheaded while the women are being forced into marriages with the insurgents.
"It is quite clear that terrorism has no friend, but it is abundantly clear that the Christians are worst hit. The whole town and the Parish rectory have been occupied by the terrorists. So many structures and items have been vandalized. Dozens have been killed and a lot of church structures have been burnt down. Christians in the town are really in a terrible situation, a moment of great persecution. Christian men were caught and beheaded, the women were forced to become Muslims and were taken as wives to the terrorists.” Rev. Fr. Gideon Obasogie, the social communications director of the catholic diocese of Maiduguri said. Continue...
“It might surprise you to know that no one knows the state of affairs in this terrorist zone. The houses of Christians that have fled are now occupied by the ‘haramists’. Their cars are used by the terrorists,” Rev Obasogie said.
He also said Boko Haram sympathizers in Gwoza showed the militants homes belonging to Christians and even showed them where some of the Christians went to hide when the killing began. They were fished out and killed.

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Boko Haram: Some soldiers refuse to fight, demand better equipment

Boko Haram: Some soldiers refuse to fight, demand better equipment

About 40 Nigerian soldiers are reported to have refused orders from their superior to move to the North to fight Boko Haram, saying they will only obey the order if they are provided with better equipment.
 
One of the mutineers who spoke anonymously with BBC Hausa said lack of good weapons and ammunition to fight the terror group is why a lot of soldiers get slaughtered by the insurgents, adding that the Nigerian army is not ready to fight Boko Haram
“Soldiers are dying like fowl. The Nigerian army is not ready to fight Boko Haram. Boko Haram are inside the bush, everywhere. They (senior commanders) are sacrificing soldiers" he said. Continue...
The mutineer also stated that the armored cars they are expected to use in battle are old and outdated.


He said he could not be court marshaled by his superior for taking part in the mutiny because only soldiers who decline to take part in wars are court-marshaled, stating that he and his other colleagues are not declining to go to war but are only asking for better equipments before they go to war.
"I joined the army to defend my country but you cannot defend it without being equipped to do so" he said

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Boko Haram is the military wing of the APC - Fani Kayode tweets

Boko Haram is the military wing of the APC - Fani Kayode tweets

Hmmm....

Photo: Nigerian women & children take refuge in Chad Desert Island

Photo: Nigerian women & children take refuge in Chad Desert Island

Photo above shows Nigerian women and children currently taking refuge in the Chadian Island of Choua, a desert land that is in no way habitable. The women and children ran to the Chad island after numerous attacks on their village, Kolikolia in Borno State by the Boko Haram sect.
According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Ariane Rummery, the Chad Government has signified interest in moving the women and children to a habitable village where they can settle and get minimal comfort.

Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Film Made in Nigeria is on revolution at Del-York Creative Academy Capacity Building Program

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Film Made in Nigeria is on revolution at Del-York Creative Academy Capacity Building Program

Film made in Nigeria has gone through several changes in the past decade, and it is about to get even better. Ask two or more people around you and you’d reach a consensus on this fact. And yes, we are on that journey! 


If you come by The Digital Bridge Institute, Lagos now and for the next four weeks, you’d see a bright and eager breed of participants undergoing an array of highly intensive hands-on courses at the 2014 Del-York Creative Academy (DCA). The workshop tagged Film Made in Nigeria, is channeled at improving the skillset and creative capacity of film makers and broadcast journalists in Nigeria. Continue...





The scope of courses is as broad as it can get. From Producing to Directing, Acting, Digital Film Making, Broadcast Journalism, Set- designs, Screen Writing, Costume design and make-up, 3D animation, Cinematography, Editing, Graphics and Special Effects, there is something for everyone.

Select members from the Directors Guild of Nigeria, The Nigerian Society of Editors, Creative Designers Guild of Nigeria, Screenwriters Guild of Nigeria, Nigerian Society of Cinematography, Actors Guild of Nigeria and the Association of Movie Producers (AMP) will enjoy first in class training from tutors of the Del-York Creative Academy.

“With a penchant for quality training, the academy engaged trainers from Los Angeles and New York who have since arrived Lagos and are excited and overly ready to impact the students and expose them to high-tech equipment and methods that will make them equal contenders with their international counterparts” says Dr. Linus IDAHOSA, CEO of Del-York International.

Del-York International in partnership with the New York Film Academy has so far trained over 650 aspiring and professional filmmakers, some of whom have either received or been nominated to win several local and International awards. 

This year’s program is powered by the Project Act-Capacity Building Fund which is dedicated to supporting skills acquisition along the entire value chain of the Nigerian Entertainment Industry.
You can be a part of the entire program through its live coverage through the hashtag #DCA2014 and on the Academy’s social media platform:




Twitter: @Delyorkintl
Facebook: Del-York International
Instagram: @DelyorkCreativeAcademy
Youtube: DelYorkIntl

Want to join us? Find out how you can be a part of the Del-York Creative Academy by visiting www.delyorkinternational.com.

Jonathan condemns terror attack in Kano, Adamawa & Cameroon

Jonathan condemns terror attack in Kano, Adamawa & Cameroon

Find the State House press statement below...
President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan wholeheartedly condemns the recent terrorist attacks in Kano and Adamawa States as well as the kidnap of the Lamido of Kolofata in Northern Cameroon, Lamido Seini Lamine and the wife of the Vice Prime Minister of Cameroon.
The President describes as shocking, callous and reprehensible the multiple bomb blasts that occurred in Kano within 24 hours, and the unrelenting attacks by the Boko Haram at a time the Muslim faithful are observing the holy festival of Eid el Fitri.  

He commiserates with the families of all those who lost their loved ones in the Kano and Adamawa attacks and wishes the injured speedy recovery.

President Jonathan further notes that the deployment of young women as suicide bombers represents a new low in the inhuman campaign by these terrorists and an expression of utter disregard for the dignity of the female gender as well as a wicked exploitation of the girl-child.

The President states that the abduction of the Lamido of Kolofata and the wife of the Vice premier of Cameroon clearly underscores the regional security threat that Boko Haram has become.

He welcomes the recent resolve by the Defence Ministers of Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Benin and Niger to further strengthen existing partnerships in order to forestall the desperate attempt by misguided elements to turn the sub-region into a battleground for terrorism and radical extremism.

President Jonathan urges the security forces to remain resolute, and not be discouraged by the desperation of the agents of evil.  He believes that with the continued cooperation between Nigeria’s security forces and their counterparts in neighbouring countries, the war against terror will surely be won.

REUBEN ABATI
Special Adviser to the President
(Media & Publicity)
July 28, 2014.

Monday, 28 July 2014

Bomb blast at Trade Fair Complex in Kano today

Bomb blast at Trade Fair Complex in Kano today

A bomb went off this afternoon around 1.40pm at the Trade Fair Complex on Zoo Road close to the popular Shoprite shopping mall in Kano State. According to police report, a female bomber about 18 years old died, while at least six people were injured. The area has been cordoned off  by security attached to Shoprite. Details later...

Photo: Police avert another bomb blast in Kano

Photo: Police avert another bomb blast in Kano

The Police in Kano state this morning July 27th averted what could have been another fatal bomb blast in the ancient city. Police operatives averted the calamity after discovering a Peugeot 406 car with registration number AA 513 ZAK, loaded with explosives at the mosque of Sheikh Isyaku Rabiu at Goron Dutse. Bomb experts neutralized the explosives immediately and no casualty was recorded.

The Kano state commissioner of police, Mr. Aderenle Shinaba has confirmed the reports

Another bomb blast in Kano this morning

Another bomb blast in Kano this morning

The Nigeria Police Force just announced that another bomb blast occurred this morning at NNPC mega station along Maiduguri road in Kano state. Continue for a press statement from the police...


Today, 28-07-14 at about 10:00am, another suicide bomb went off at Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation NNPC Mega Filling Station at Hotoro Quarter along Maiduguri Road, Kano. A suicide bomber suspected to be a female had slipped into the crowd of citizens buying kerosene at the Station before detonating the explosives. The suicide bomber and three others have been confirmed dead, eight persons are injured and rushed to the Hospital.
It is instructive to note that the Mega Station did not go ablaze due to the security barricade put in place by the Policemen on duty at the station. Such a situation would have clearly complicated the Emergency response.
Security Forces have cordoned off the scene, and Police Bomb Disposal Experts are "sweeping" the area. Citizens are advised to stay off the scene, be vigilant and report any suspicious person(s) or activities to security forces. Full scale investigation has commenced, intensive patrol of the city is ongoing.
ACP FRANK MBA
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
FORCE HEADQUARTERS,
ABUJA.

Thursday, 17 July 2014

Photo: Solar powered car made by Nigerian inventor

Photo: Solar powered car made by Nigerian inventor

Trying to get more details about the Segun dude. Apparently, he built this solar-powered car. Good stuff! 

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Police arrest Boko Haram member who says he's the 'Chief Butcher' of Balmo Forest

Police arrest Boko Haram member who says he's the 'Chief Butcher' of Balmo Forest

The Nigerian police has released a statement saying they have arrested a top ranking official of Boko Haram, who says he's the 'Chief Butcher' of Balmo Forest. See the press statement below...
Following the massive onslaught by Security Forces on the activities of the insurgent group, Boko Haram, at the Balmo Forest Bauchi State, Police detectives attached to Bauchi State Police Command on Saturday, 12/7/2014 about 2pm have arrested one Mohammed Zakari, a male of 30 years old and senior member of the Boko Haram terrorists’ organization along Darazo-Basrika Road while fleeing from the intensive counter insurgency operations going on around the Balmo Forest. The suspect, who hails from Kaigamari Village, Daptchari in Darazo Local Government Area, Bauchi State is the self-styled “chief butcher” of the insurgent group at the Balmo Forest Camp and is linked with the recent slaughter of seven (7) people, including women and children. Findings as well as disclosures from the suspect will assist the Law enforcement agencies in tracking down some other members of the terror cell. Continue...

The suspect whom investigation reveals was tutored in the art of insurgency at Gombe Forest under the leadership of a fleeing insurgent, one Abba Taura and moved to Balmo Forest only three months ago, is discovered to have actively participated in the April attack against Customs officers at Kari Town, along Maiduguri Road, Bauchi State.

Meanwhile, the Police High Command has called on the citizens in the affected areas to be on guard for any suspicious or strange character fleeing from Balmo Forest.

It also calls for the understanding and support of the public for the efforts of the Police and other Security Forces in tackling insurgency, terrorism and other related crimes headlong, noting that although the war on terrorism is unrelenting, it is certainly not insurmountable and must be won with the cooperation of all.    
 
                                                 ACP FRANK MBA
                             FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
                                           FORCE HEADQUARTERS,
                                                        ABUJA.      

Monday, 14 July 2014

Photos: Malala Yousafzai meets President Jonathan

Photos: Malala Yousafzai meets President Jonathan

Girl-child education advocate, Malala Yousafzai, accompanied by her dad, met with Pres. Jonathan today Monday July 14 at the State House. Speaking during the meeting, president Jonathan said;
"Terror is relatively new here and dealing with it has its challenges. The great challenge in rescuing the Chibok girls is the need to ensure that they are rescued alive.The Govt and its security agencies were very mindful of the need to avoid the scenario in rescue attempts in other parts of the world where lives of abductees were lost in the efforts to rescue them.” he stated. See more photos after the cut...