Random Post

Thursday 1 May 2014

I Once Walked The Wall Of China For 7 Hours – Michelle

Michelle-Bello

I Once Walked The Wall Of China For 7 Hours – Michelle

Michelle Bello is the award-winning film maker having produced Small Boy and Flower Girl, both winning local and international awards. The UK-born movie maker and CEO of Blue Star Entertainment spoke to SAMUEL ABULUDE on her next movie project, trends in the industry and of course, her charming personality. 
Congrats! How do you feel that Flower Girl won three awards at AMVCA?
I feel very excited. I am so, so happy. Flower Girl took four years in the making. I came up with the idea of the story when I was doing my Masters in 2010. We were asked to write a feature script and I have never done that before, I’ve shot a lot of short films before. I said, why not let me do a romantic comedy, I like romantic movies a lot. So I came up with it and that was the birth of Flower Girl. Then I gave it to my brother, Jigi Bello and he revamped the whole script, he wrote the draft and all that- Jigi made the movie into what it is. He is absolutely amazing when it comes to writing. I feel so happy that I was able to work with him. He is someone I respect so much and he is so talented. To see the success Flower Girl has achieved is actually amazing. I just thank God for that. It is only by God’s grace that a year after the film was released, it’s still going strong, it’s still winning international awards, the AMVCA and we haven’t even reached DVD yet.
And what do you think makes Flower Girl unique?
I think the theme of the movie is very powerful, LOVE- it’s a universal theme- whether you are an American or an African or from another continent. It’s what we human beings can relate to, and we’ve all been in a relationship whether good or bad. And so with Flower Girl, a romantic comedy- it’s very funny. It’s got great characters, a good story- a young girl wants to get married. Everyone can relate to that. And we have guys fighting- all kinds of things going on. It’s not just a chick flick like everyone will say. There’s something for everyone. Like in Nigeria, they were taking their families to watch the movie. So many people have seen it over and over again. People have become part of the story and loved the character. And with the quality and production level, a lot of money, a lot of skills went into crafting the movie. It wasn’t a rushed project at all. In this entertainment industry, we represent quality. We are passionate about everything we do and we strive for excellence. And I learnt so much working with the cast and crew. I’m excited about working on my next one.
What of the budget for Flower Girl?
Flower Girl had a N50 million budget. That’s what we had to do and I’m happy that cinemas had been built and more emphasis are on Cinematic films. So efforts should be made to do movies for the cinemas, movies for the international audiences. For Flower Girl, we got screened at the Hollywood Black Film Festival in LA.
What inspired you into movie making?
I loved telling stories, that was a passion to me. Even when I was in school, I would go into a library. While I was a teenager in Coburn hall, Kent in UK, I’ll be writing stories in my book and I found it few years ago. I’ll literally be writing stories and my friends will read the short stories and they will love them. So for me, it was second nature, I just loved telling stories. I noticed from a young age, people loved listening to my stories and how I will tell them. How you tell a story is key especially the director. So for me when the choice of what am I going to do in the University, there was nothing else for me other than to study Communications. From that I got to know about Film, TV, journalism and that was when I really realised my passion was in film making. Making something from stories.
Your mum with interest in Arts must have inspired this too?
Definitely! Through her Arts outfit, Amasoma. She did, Africa ‘95 which was huge back then and she’ll take! me and I’ll go along with her. Seeing the work she is doing with the troupe, we were in the Kennedy Centre in Washington and in the UK, we performed there as well. So I’ll be there watching her doing everything and I’ll be just wondering Wow! I took something from the foundation. So watching her, her passion for African Arts inspired me, showing it internationally as well as here.
Did you ever think of acting?
Never! I’m a behind the scene person. So many of my friends are trying to get me into acting in the movies and I always tell them, I’m not an actress. Acting is a completely different skill level and a completely different craft. It’s something you work on your whole life just like directing, just like producing. I’ve always been a shy person, I guess that’s why, I’m behind the scene as a storyteller. So, no acting for me.
How was it like for you to bring all that you learnt to work here?
My plan was always to bring everything I learnt in America and bring it here. I use everything that I have learnt in working with all the casts that I have worked with. It can be challenging and fun working with different kinds of people and also doing different projects. I don’t mind training people on the spur, I find out that people get trained here as they work on the job. I also like to test people to be sure we are on the same level before embarking on the project. In America, it’s a complete different mentality. You can come to work for a big studio like Disney and do it for free, they do it as a work-experience for three months. Here as a people, it is different, the poverty level is a lot higher than in the western world. It is important in this industry that you keep an open mind and to focus on always learning and developing your skill level. And you know here, it can be challenging, there is a lot of egos, people don’t want to learn from others- they fell they know everything.
You can never know everything, no one knows everything. You need to study, it’s not a case that you just want to be a director and you have the passion. How many acting books have you read? That was why I went to study more before doing Flower Girl, I had to study film making, improve my skills and learn more on how it is done internationally. And I think it was the best decision I made and I’m so glad I did because my experience has widened. And I can see my level of growth from Small Boy my first feature and Flower Girl and I want to see my growth again from Flower Girl to the next one and that is how it should be. There are so many people out there who want the same thing as you do, what’s gonna make you stand is the knowledge you keep acquiring to do something different.
Beyond movie making, who is Michelle Bello?
That is an interesting question, who am I? (She laughs) I’m down to earth, I’m a real person and I strongly believe in my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ and know what he’s done in my life. I’m so grateful to God. I’m a God fearing person. I’m a passionate person. Whatever I do, I’m very passionate about. I love to travel. I love to meet different people. I’m very adventurous, not many people know that. I actually walked along the wall of China, I mean the proper way. And it took me seven hours! I love watching movies, TV shows. I love people, I’m actually a people person but I’m shy as a person. I’m very blunt and say things as they are.
What are your dreams?
To keep getting better in my craft. Keep telling our stories to the world, impact lives and inspire people for the better. There are so many people out there and it is important to let them know that there is hope. Whatever you want to do, you can do and make positive differences in the country. My goal in life is to be a blessing both in my personal life as well as my professional life. Personally, I would like to get married and have kids.
And when will that be?
Only God knows. God’s time. (She laughs).
What do you do when you are not working?
I sleep. I love sleeping (laughs), I also hang out with friends. I just go to the cinemas and watch movies, visit art galleries when I have the time.
 Stay up to date, follow us on Twitter; @thundergist

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thundergist Entertainment
comment here Now